Double click on any word will take you to Free Dictionary

Try it now.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Idioms & Phrases

1- A little bird told me:
When someone says "a little bird told me" it means they don't want you to know who told them.

2- Apple of someone's eye:
Someone's favorite person (and sometimes thing). ex. "Sarah was the apple of Tom's eye for quite a long time. He was very much in love with her."

3- (To) add fuel to the fire:
To make a bad problem even worse.

4- (From) all walks of life:
(From) all social, economic, and ethnic groups. ex. "People from all walks of life voted for him, but he still lost the presidential election."

5- At all hours (of the night):
Very late at night, throughout the night. ex. "Her boyfriend would call her at all hours of the night."

6-At each other's throats:
Fighting or arguing heavily. ex. "They were at each other's throats. The arguments never stopped."

7- (To) beg to differ:
A polite way of saying "to disagree", most often heard in the phrase "I beg to differ!"

8- Big fish in a little sea:
A person who's famous/ well-known but only in an unimportant place (city or area).

9- (To) burst into tears:
To start crying suddenly.

10- (To) bite one's tongue:
To struggle not to say something that you want to say. ex. "I wanted to tell her everything, but I had to bite my tongue because I had promised Bill I would not (tell her)."

No comments:

Post a Comment