Double click on any word will take you to Free Dictionary

Try it now.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Associating Idioms

Associating similar things will increase the possibility of long memorization, so here I am going to associate similar Idioms. This way your use of idioms will be more vivid, especially if you are using it in writing.

Before heading ahead, I want to clear that these similar looking Idioms are not exactly interchangeable, but they are very close to each other.

a cinch - Be piece of cake - a snap - as easy as pie
very easy
Q. How was your test?
A. It was a cinch. /or/ It was a piece of cake for me. /or/ It was as easy a pie /or/ It was a snap to finish it.

bushed - beat - pooped
very tired; exhausted
I am going to hit the sack. I am really bushed.
It was a long day. I am beat.
Working all night, i am pooped.

cost an arm and a leg - a bundle
Very expensive
This laptop cost me a bundle.
This laptop really cost an arm and a leg, its not worth purchasing.

down in the dumps - feel blue
depressed
I failed to persuade that bull headed customer, i feel down in dumps /or/ I feel blue.

hit the hay - hit the sack
go to sleep
I am bushed. I am going to hit the hay /or/ I am going to hit the sack.

know something backward and forward - know inside out
know something thoroughly
I am working here from last five years now, i know inside out of this management.

on dot - on time
As scheduled
I am burning my midnight oil, I want to finish this project on time.
Better we should get going, Ralph will start the presentation on the dot.

you don't say (something hard to believe) - you 've to be kidding (You are not serious)
(although there these idioms don't share exact meaning, but are close)
A. Did you know Sumanth quit the job?
B. You don't say! /or/ you've to be kidding !

To weather the storm - to fuel the fire
to worsen the problem
In this market slump, attack on Indian financial capital will fuel the fire.
Mumbai attack will weather the storm of financial slow down.

2 comments:

  1. Good effort. Big applause to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the initiative done by you , its good to be reunited (though virtually), but its good to be together...

    ReplyDelete